Pa assist

1. Default Pa assist
    Medical Coding Books
    We just added a PA.

When billing for surgery besides the modifiers AS and 80 (most common) do you put as the referring provider the primary surgeon or the primary care physician?

Secondly what percentage of the primary surgeon's usual and customary fee do you submit?

Sorry - we never had a PA before -

Thanks yet again.

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Denise View Post
    We just added a PA.

When billing for surgery besides the modifiers AS and 80 (most common) do you put as the referring provider the primary surgeon or the primary care physician?

Secondly what percentage of the primary surgeon's usual and customary fee do you submit?

Sorry - we never had a PA before -

Thanks yet again.
    Denise, We use our PA for assists in our ASC alot. Use -AS for most carriers, but there are some that do not recognize that modifier and insist that -80 is what they want for PA-C Assists. You'll figure that out if they deny with -AS then you can call and ask. The referring provider is going to be the primary surgeon...he's the one that asked the PA to assist. Watch the CPT's for which one's do not allow for assists. We charge 30% of the surgeon's fee for our PA. Some other's charge 20%. That will be something your practice works out with your PA. Good Luck!
    Jenna

3. Default PA
    Jenna - thank you - with all this Blue Shield stuff going on with my shoulder coding and now the PA - I am a little crazy. Thank you so much for your help.

If you have any insight on the shoulder stuff I would really appreciate it - I just want to learn now before I attend the coding course in January.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again - Have a great evening - Denise

make sure you credential your PA's with Medicare and Medicaid
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC