AAPC - Back to school

Thread: New to Hemorrhoid Coding ??

Question New to Hemorrhoid Coding ??

AAPC: Back to School
    I am new to hemorrhoid coding....Can someone explain to me what code 46946 means when it states "2 or more hemorrhoid colums/groups"? What is the colums or groups referring to?
    Sonja Little, CPC

Milwaukee WI

Default Lay description

Here is the lay description from Encoder Pro - it's a little different from what you have (I think)
    The physician performs ligation of internal hemorrhoids. The physician explores the anal canal and identifies the hemorrhoid columns. A single suture ligation of the hemorrhoid columns is performed in 46945. Multiple suture ligations of the hemorrhoid columns are performed in 46946.

A "column" is just what it sounds like ... an anatomic part or structure in the form of a pillar. A "hemorrhoid" is a varicose condition of a rectal vein. So when the rectal vein is swollen in its "varicose condition" it appears to be like a pillar or column.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Smile Thanks

Yes, that explained it better. I keep all my Coding Edge mags, but could not find anything in them about what the "column" was referring to. Thanks a million.
    Sonja Little, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Help coding Evacuation of thrombosed hemorrhoid
    By Hopp in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
  2. Re thrombosed hemorrhoid
    By dtricia in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM
  3. need help with hemorrhoid removal please!
    By maudys in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
  4. one external hemorrhoid
    By codedog in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
  5. Where's the hemorrhoid ?
    By codedog in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM