AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Consult W/I the Global Period

Default Consult W/I the Global Period

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello all,

How should we be reporting this -
    Dr. Surgeon and Dr. Consult are in the same group. Dr. Consult bills consult codes within the global period for the same diagnosis treated by Dr. Surgeon. For some reason, the second, third, fourth, etc (established pt visits) completed by Dr. Consult are getting the 99024 but the original consults are being reported.

Auditing Globals

Are they the same specialty? If they are there should more than likely be nothing billed since they are seen as the same person and it is the same problem.

If they are different specialties I can see where the consult could be correct but the fact that the subsequent visits are 99024 sound to me like a transfer of care. In that case you should really be splitting out the surgical charges, surgeon does procedure with a 54 and the 2nd provider bills the procedure with a 55 modifier.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Columbia, MO

I totally agree with Laura.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Seattle First Hill

I agree as well

Similar Threads

1. Consult during PO period
    By awerner in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  3. How to determine global period with 2 procedures/2 different global periods
    By AHVC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  4. Medicare Consult during Post-op period
    By wfisher67 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
  5. Consult W/I the Global Period
    By Ozbaby in forum General Surgery
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM