This is off the top of my head ...
Patient presents with respiratory failure and ESRD. I spent 30 minutes with patient and family, 100% of which was in counseling/coordination of care, discussing end of life issues and risks/benefits of various courses of treatment for current acute problems. Patient has advanced directives on file.
You could code Initial Hospital Visit 99221 for the above note based on time spent in counseling/coordination of care.
Please NOTE The above "example" would satisfy the requirement for coding Initial Hospital Visit, but may not satisfy the hospital's requirement for an H&P ... two different things.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join