Results 1 to 5 of 5

Moderate Conscious Sedation by CRNA

  1. #1
    Question Moderate Conscious Sedation by CRNA
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello All! I am having some trouble with getting code 99144 pd by Medicare. My provider is a CRNA located in Iowa, WPS is our Medicare Carrier. He is doing moderate conscious sedation with Epidural injections(ex, 62311, 62310, 64475 ect). This charge is being denied by Medicare with the denial reason of "PMT adjusted when performed by prov of this specialty." Has anyone else received this denial? Is there something I can do to help get this pd by Medicare?
    Missy Heuer CPC, CIRCC, CANPC

  2. #2
    Do you have the correct modifier QX to indicate it's being performed by a CRNA? Without it, you will be denied.

  3. #3
    Jamaica, NY
    A CRNA would not bill 99144. A surgeon who is performing let's say an EGD and gives anesthesia would report 99144. If the CRNA is administering anesthesia AND also giving the ESI - you can NOT bill for both servies. You would need 2 separate providers to billProvider A bills: 01992-59, and Provider B bills: 62311.At our facility our CRNA's never work alone. But our Dr's often perform these ESI's w/ another Dr administering the Anesthesia.

  4. #4
    The CRNA, in this case, is acting as the surgeon. They are providing the moderate sedation and personally performing the injection.

    I did find something of interest in Medicare's IOM Publication 100-04, Chapter 12, Section 50.L where it states, "If the anesthesiologist or CRNA provides both the anesthesia service and the block or injection, then the anesthesiologist or CRNA may report the anesthesia service using the conscious sedation code and the injection or block."

    Medicare has been telling me that the CRNA can't provide this service, but when I look at this it looks like they can. I just wanted to get some other perspectives on this. Thanks.
    Missy Heuer CPC, CIRCC, CANPC

  5. #5
    Yes. You are actually correct based on this guideline from Medicare. In fact, I just double checked the CCI edits, 99144 and 62311 can be billed together.

    But again, you have to check in your state if the CRNA is allowed to perform these procedures. Here's a link in regard to the Medical -Surgical procedures performed by the CRNA -- 140.4.3 - Payment for Medical or Surgical Services Furnished by CRNAs

Similar Threads

  1. Moderate Conscious Sedation
    By codeds07 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 07:01 AM
  2. Moderate Conscious Sedation and modifiers?
    By sweetybird0472 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 11:07 PM
  3. Moderate (conscious) sedation
    By rjburd68 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
  4. Moderate conscious sedation
    By 01096327 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
  5. Moderate/Conscious Sedation Question
    By rcrosse in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?


Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.