I would bill this as an admit with a 57 modifier. ED most likely intended to transfer care which doesn't meet the requirements for a consult. This of course is based on CMS guidelines.
An outpatient consult even in the facility side is going to reimburse a little higher than the admits but you still have to meet all the requirements for a consult. I saw a post where the AMA has broadened the description of consults, seems like they are saying screw you to CMS to me, but that doesn't take effect until next year.
Just my opinion,
Laura, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join