AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 95 guideline exam audit question

Default 95 guideline exam audit question

AAPC: Back to School
    What do I look for when auditing documentation using the 95 guidelines when I look at the hema/lymp/immun for the exam portion of the audit? I want to make sure I am giving credit for what the doctor examines. I know lymph nodes or thyroid would count. How would the doctor address the hema in the exam? My physician is stating allergy is part of the exam not ROS.

Thanks for any help in clarifing this issue,

Milwaukee WI

Default Example needed

Can you give us an example of a scrubbed note so we can see just where the issue lies?

It's hard to come up with something off the top of my head that would be an example.

But since Hematologic/Lymphatic/Immunological are all considered "one" system for the exam portion of 1995 guidelines, meeting any one of them (i.e. lymph nodes) would get you that "system."

By the way ... the thyroid does NOT fall in the lymphatic system, but in the "neck."

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
    Last edited by FTessaBartels; 11-11-2009 at 01:18 PM.

I guess that is what I am asking what would be considered the hema/immun on the exam portion? What do I look for?

I am being told that Allergy can be used here but I thought the physician had to physically exam the patient in order to get credit so how do they examine hema/immun?

Similar Threads

1. General coding guideline timeline question
    By The3rdLeonard in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
  2. 97 Guideline Physical Exam Questions
    By misbell in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
  3. 95 exam guideline question
    By CBC in forum E/M
    Replies: 6