AAPC - Back to school

Thread: modifier 51 question - My physician has performed

Exclamation modifier 51 question - My physician has performed

AAPC: Back to School
    My physician has performed a reduction of a fracture with manipulation and also had to due his own nerve block (64450) because there was not an anesthesiaologist available. Do I need to append a modifier to the block, possible mod 51, since the block is the second procedure performed? Or am I overlooking a modifier that would be necessary?

Will this reduce my reimbursement?

I appreciate any help.
    Last edited by ank3t; 10-05-2016 at 07:30 AM.

Warren Ohio chapter

Default modifier 51

If he is doing the nerve block for the reduction then i don't think i would code the injection. However, if he is giving the injection in addition to the reduction then I would code the procedure

I would bill both the fracuture reduction as well as the nerve block minus the us of the modifier. I don't think you are going to need a mod in this case.

Default Modifier 51 question...

Actually, if you are the one doing the reduction/manipulation and there is no anesthesiologist present, you do not get to charge for the nerve block. Only if the person administering this is of a different specialty can this be done.

I would have to agree with Joyce, I work for an Orthopaedic office my doc's reduce fractures in the office frequently and we do not bill for the block.

Carrie, CPC

Similar Threads

1. 51 Modifier Question
    By yolwil in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 12:08 PM
  2. modifier 51 question - I work in dermatology
    By mjl903 in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM
  3. Modifier 78 Question - A patient is in the hospital
    By MichelleAKing in forum Modifiers