I too work for general surgery. I log onto the hospital system and look at the patient status IH vs OH and code based on that. When we board the surgery, we tell the scheduler that the procedure is scheduled for OH or IH (and they enter specific codes into the hospital system based on that) BUT we have been told that the status can not be determined until after the surgery has been performed and the physician makes that determination at that time. Also, a patient can remain in outpatient status for longer than 24 hours, so it's not always 24 hours.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join