AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Need help with this surgery

Des Moines

Default Need help with this surgery

AAPC: Back to School
    I am at wits end trying to come up with a code that my Ortho doc finds acceptable. Here is what was documented:

1) left closed bimalleolar ankle fracture
    2)left closed distal tibia/fibular ligament sprain

1)Open reduction internal fixation left bimalleolar ankle fracture, medial and lateral
    2)closed reduction and internal fixation of left distal tibia fibular joint.

I have 27814 for #1, but #2 stumps me. His OP report states "Her syndesmosis was seen widened therefore a large pointed reduction clamp was used to clamp the tibia and reduce the syndesmosis. A 3.5mm syndesmotic screw of length 52mm was placed across the fibula into the tibia.".
    I initially thought maybe this was a fracture, so I coded as 27756, but he said this wasn't fractured. I also can't use 27829, because he said it was a closed procedure.
    He said it was a ligament injury, but when I read the report, I can't associate anything being done to the ligament.

Please help!!!!!

i dont think its truly closed, the patient is already opened for the bi-mall fx
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Seattle First Hill

I agree with Mary, it doesn't sound like a closed procedure. How is he doing internal fixation if it is closed?

Similar Threads

1. new to surgery...help
    By ksrkelly7 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
  3. Plastic Surgery - Surgery Suite in office
    By rmitchell in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
  4. Help with surgery