AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Neoplasms: Unspecified or Uncertain?

St Louis West

Talking Neoplasms: Unspecified or Uncertain?

AAPC: Back to School
    I have explained the difference between unspecified and uncertain to our physicians and most are accepting but I have a couple that do not agree. I am looking for rock solid documentation explaining the difference. By rock solid I mean a professional organization or publication. I know we, as professional coders, know the difference but sometimes my "boys" are a little unruly and want to see it in balck and white. Does anyone have a resource?

Unspecified=specimen not sent to pathology or specimen was sent but report is not back yet
    Uncertain=histologically proven by pathology to be in a transitional state where cells are not normal but are not malignant at the time of submission
    Thanks. Pat:

Columbia, MO

I believe it was AHA coding clinic May -June 1985 issue where this was covered completely.
    In that issue they state that unspecified is a working dx that can be rendered after a preliminary diagnostic workup renders a dx of something like a tumor which is a neoplastic process but morphologically yet unspecified. And as you stated the unspecified is a path dx. Also in the codebook but depending on which publisher you have it states under uncertain behavior that these dx are morphohistopathologic. I hope this helps you.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Uncertain behaivor vs uncertain significance
    By hunterbht in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  2. Neoplasms
    By MsDean84 in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
  3. Uncertain vs. Unspecified Neoplasm
    By melwalters in forum Billing/Reimbursement