AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Multiple small bowel resections

Default Multiple small bowel resections

AAPC: Back to School
    Medicare PT.....doc did 4 hr exp lap w/loa...he wants up charge w/22-modifier. also did small bowel resection x 2....can we charge x 2 for this??
    and if you bill the exp lap, doesn't that get bundled to the LOA or vice versa??

Thanks, Pat H.

Northeast Kansas AAPC

I would charge 44120 and 44121 for the small bowel resections and up the charges with a 22 modifier, send letter and op note noting the extensive lysis of adhesions

I would need to read the op note to determine proper coding. Were the SBR x 2 caused by the LOA or were the resections planned? If the SBR were medically necessary then I would agree with the above post. If the resections were due to iatrogenic injuries then I would code the LOA w/a 22 modifier. You can check the edits but I believe the LOA is bundled with the SBR x 2 (44120, + 44121) and the ELAP is bundled as well.

Similar Threads

1. Multiple Colon Resections
    By Danna123 in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
  2. Multiple bowel resections?
    By Callieb in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM
  4. Replies: 1