I have always erred on the side of caution and never code it as an open wound unless the dictation clearly states that the skin was broken. I am a firm believer in, "when in doubt, leave it out"..."if they don't say it, we can't know it". I always imagine sitting in the witness box, being sworn in and being asked, "where does it say that the bite broke the skin?" I like life on the outside and don't plan going on the inside if I can help it.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join