AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Radiofrequency Therapy

Default Radiofrequency Therapy

AAPC: Back to School

My surgeon starting doing Radiofrequency Therapy procedure, has anybody heard of this, he did this percutaneous?

In his dictation he says;

"Using a 0.062 k-wire, skin portals were used down to the Achilles Tendon. A radiofrequency therapy wand was then inserted down to the Achilles Tendon and then the pulse was delivered just one to each portal. There were a total of 18 portals in this treatment area"

He's asked me if procedure code 27606 or 27654 would work but those codes just don't fit in my opinion. He will also do this to the plantar Fascia and was told to use 28008 but that doesn't seem right at all.

Any help or input would greatly be appreciated.

Wichita, KS

0019T Extracorporeal shock wave involving musculoskeletal system, not otherwise specified, low energy

0101T Extracorporeal shock wave involving musculoskeletal system, not otherwise specified, high energy

For plantar facsia CPT 28890 Extracorporeal shock wave, high energy, performed by a physician, requiring anesthesia other than local, including ultrasound guidance, involving the plantar fascia.
    Tammy Hulsey-Ferguson, CPC
    Past President AAPC Wichita, KS Local Chapter

Thank you so much Tammy, your awesome!!! I feel releived to know there is something out there to use....I will forward this information on to my Doctor.

Thank you again,

Well, my doctor said those were not the codes. I thought those were perfect but I guess the search is on again. We might have to use the unlisted. Thank you for your help.

I am just starting to bill podiatry and am still trying to figure things out...Does anyone know about 28890 for medicare? Does the Q8 modifier apply to this code?

Dawna Moore, CPC