Cardiac catheterization

1. Default Cardiac catheterization
    Exam Training Packages
    Would these be the appropriate codes for the following?:

Diagnostic left heart catheterization with bilateral selective coronary arteriography and left ventriculography done through the right common femoral artery approach with percutaneous closure.

93545-51
    93543-51

Thanks

Be sure to report 93555-26 and 93556-26 as well for the radiological supervision, interpretation, and report.

I also don't think that 93545 needs to have the -51 modifier. CPT states 93545 is -51 exempt.

Jessica CPC, CCC

3. Default
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I see the note about the procedures that are -51 exempt.

I am fairly new to cardiology. What are the key things to look for in determining which codes to assign? Is the radiological supervision and interpretation always a part of these procedures?

Can you recommend any good resources for cardiology coding?

Thanks again.

For the injection procedures done during a cardiac cath you would always report the S/I code to go with the injections. You should only report 93555-26and 93556-26 once for all services the descriptor indicates.

Let's say that 93540 and 93545 were done. You would only report the 93556-26 once.

As far as resources, I'm sure there is a lot out there. I'm a big fan of the Cardiology Coding Alert that comes out every month. I also have the 2009 Coding Companion at my desk for Cardiology/Cardiothoracic Surgery/Vascular Surgery.

Jessica CPC, CCC