A patient came into to the clinic because they cut their finger on a cat food lid. The provider ordered a tetanus vaccine. There is some disagreement on what ICD-9 code we should use here. We agree that the finger cut should be coded from the 800 series for open wound, but does this cover the tetanus vaccine as well or should the V code for the vaccine be coded in addition? I say both should be used since a vaccine should be tied to the V code, but the provider thinks the code for the finger cut should cover the vaccine since this is the reason for the vaccine. Any thoughts? Thanks.
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join