A patient came into to the clinic because they cut their finger on a cat food lid. The provider ordered a tetanus vaccine. There is some disagreement on what ICD-9 code we should use here. We agree that the finger cut should be coded from the 800 series for open wound, but does this cover the tetanus vaccine as well or should the V code for the vaccine be coded in addition? I say both should be used since a vaccine should be tied to the V code, but the provider thinks the code for the finger cut should cover the vaccine since this is the reason for the vaccine. Any thoughts? Thanks.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join