AAPC - Back to school

Thread: How would you code scenario?

Default How would you code scenario?

AAPC: Back to School
    Patient was seen in office and was hydrated –cpt 99215 and 96360 and 96361 then patient was admitted to hospital same day and Dr went to admit her with another evaluation.

Milwaukee WI

Default One E/M - Hospital admit

You only code one E/M on one date of service, and CPT tells us specifically that you should code the Initial Hospital Visit (9922x). Use all the documentation, including the office visit, to determine your level of service.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Default Thanks

Thanks for confirming - suddenly the provider comes up with a question...which you have always known, raises a doubt in your mind, you feel it's necessary to take a second opinion.

Central Pittsburgh

Exactly right-the initial inpatient service should be the one coded. However, I would ask the question, did the MD see the patient upon admission in the hospital?

Only 1 E/M service can be billed, however, if he didn't see the patient in the hospital then the intial service code would not be billable.

I totally understand when you start to doubt yourself. I do that a few times a day sometimes.

Suzan Berman CPC, CEMC, CEDC

Similar Threads

1. Code the scenario: Capture the primary diagnosis code only
    By Ally718 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 08:41 AM
  2. How do I code this scenario?
    By rhaney1033 in forum AAPC Coding Challenge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM
  3. E/M Code Scenario
    By Partha in forum E/M