You've got it~
When you devote more than 50 percent of your face-to-face time with the patient to counseling or coordinating care, time may be considered the key or controlling factor to qualify for a particular level of E/M service.
An example of documentation would be:
"30 minutes of face to face was provided;more than 50% of which was devoted to counceling" (also include what was discussed)
I also encourage my providers to document the "beginning and ending" time. Some do this better than others.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join