AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding Help

Question Coding Help

AAPC: Back to School
    My doc as given me a diagnosis of pleural hematoma. I'm guessing this is blood clots in both lungs but can't find a diagnosis code that fits.

Can anyone help

Minneapolis MN

The best I can come up with is 786.3 Hemoptysis.

Columbus GA

Was this due to an injury? This may have a diagnosis like 861.21 as in contusion/hematoma.

Bangor, Maine

Hematoma means bruise or contusion, not clot. I agree with Jackie above

Wink Hematoma

According to Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary " Hematoma means-A swelling or mass of blood (usually clotted) confined to an organ, tissue, or space and caused by a break in a blood vessel".
    Having said that, I disagree that a hematoma is not a clot.

Default Slg

I believe I would querry the physician to find out exactly what he/she is referring to. It could be an injury or a post op complication. There will be a difference in the coding depending on the circumstances.

I thought that Hemoptysis was vomiting blood ?

Generally, in ICD-9 hematoma and contusion are interchangeable. It's one of the areas that really is limited. However, a blood "clot" would usually refer to a thrombosis. Hemoptysis means spitting up blood so that definitely is not correct. I would question the doctor to see exactly what he means.