Well, what IS this "complex abdominal wall defect"? Is he talking about wound dehisence?
Query the physician ... show him how his statement codes to a congenital malformation and ask him to use more specific/accurate language.
I find that autumn is a good time to help the physicians with these kinds of issues as that is when the new ICD9 books appear and just before the new CPT books come out. They are used to there being changes in how we do things each fall, so they're more open to the suggestions.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join