AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Lap band fills

Johnson City

Default Lap band fills

AAPC: Back to School
    I was looking for a CPT code to use for Lap Band filling. The doctor accesses the subcu port and makes adjustments by injecting saline. I was looking at codes 11950-11954. I'm aware of the HCPCS code S2083, but some carriers don't recognize the HCPCS code. Does anyone have an info. on this?

Smile Lap Band Fills

Our local Blue and HMO Medicaid recognize it but the rest of the insurers do not. I have tried the unlisted code etc. - too tedious and its a hard sell to get it paid. Thus the docs are using the E & M doing all the necessary bullets required whether 99213 99214, still billing the S2083 just for recodding /tracking purposes. Lately, they have initiated a contract for the fill stating that this is a non-covered service and have asked pts to sign the contract per year and charge a few hundered dollars up front for unlimited fill. It works because the inurance co do not pay S2083.

Johnson City

Thanks, that is helpful.

Similar Threads

1. Lap band
    By akmorgan in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  2. lap band
    By RODRIGUEZL in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM
  3. Lap band help!