Is the CV surgeon no longer following the patient at all? If that is the case the cardiologist would bill the procedure with the modifier indicating they are doing all the post op only care, 55. The CV surgeon would report the procedure with the appropriate modifier indicating surgical care only.
If the surgeon is doing their own post op and the cardiologist is managing their own issues, ie medications, then it would be appropriate for them to bill for their services. Even though they are in the same group they should be credentialed as 2 different specialties and the global period for the CV surgeon would not affect the cardiologist.
Hope this helps,
Laura, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join