Yes, you can code the excision of benign lesion and the intermediate repair.
BUT ... you need very clear documentation as to the SIZE OF THE LESION REMOVED (not just the size of the eliptical incision, which will be necessarily larger than the lesion removed).
He tells you that the ENTIRE nevus measures 6cm x 3cm ... what part of that was removed?
His INCISION was 6.5cm x 2cm, which will give you the length for the repair code.
When he goes back to excise the other half of the lesion you MAY need a modifier (if it's within the global period for the first surgery).
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join