I am a new coder and I have a physician who is billing on three separate claim forms for one date of service:
Each code is reported one time on each claim form. I discussed this with two other coders and according to their knowledge, the physician should bill on one claim form and attach modifier 51 to the procedures that is not the main procedure. Is this appropriate? Can modifier 51 be used with these codes?
This is what I read and understand so far about modifier 59: You can use this modifier if different techniques are used during the colonoscopy; modifier 59 should not be used when the codes are within the same family? Are there any more important points when using modifier 59 on colonoscopies? Examples?
Thank you for your help,
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join