Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Second time posting this question...

Promo: Code Books
    Also:

In the office and other outpatient setting, counseling and/or coordination of care must be provided in the presence of the patient if the time spent providing those services is used to determine the level of service reported. Face-to-face time refers to the time with the physician only. Counseling by other staff is not considered to be part of the face-to-face physician/patient encounter time. Therefore, the time spent by the other staff is not considered in selecting the appropriate level of service. The code used depends upon the physician service provided.
    Herbie W Lorona Jr., CPC, CPC-H
    hlorona@up2parmedicalclinic.com

That may be CMS's interpretation of the rules, but the patient in this scenario had BCBS. CMS rules do not apply here.
    Last edited by Walker22; 12-23-2009 at 09:32 AM.

The physician still needs to have 2 of the 3 key components but when determining the level to bill you can use the time as the key or controlling factor to qualify for a particular level of E/M services

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie LoroƱa View Post
    The physician still needs to have 2 of the 3 key components but when determining the level to bill you can use the time as the key or controlling factor to qualify for a particular level of E/M services
    We have that... History and MDM

I don't really want to argue about this anymore. Our disagreement seems to exist because we are approaching the problem from different perspectives. You seem to be approaching it from a "what will get paid" point of view, and that is perfectly understandable. My approach is from the wording in the CPT book alone. Not every service is covered by all payers. You can code something correctly and still not get paid because of payer interpretation of the guidelines. In the case outlined in the OP, I believe an office visit is the correct code to bill. Whether it will get paid or not is a different question...

Happy Holidays!

Well I am not looking at it from a "What will get paid" point of view. Really how do you bill an office visit for a patient who was not in the office. I know the insurances will pay if you submit a bill. You would want to use prolonged services. CPT states in prolonged services that to bill prolonged services "it must relate to a service or patient where direct (face to face) patient care has occurred or will occur and relate to ongoing patient management."

I know the insurances will pay if you submit a bill.
    Really? You must live on a different planet than I do. Just submitting a bill is not a quarantee of payment. You still have to follow their guidelines.

You would want to use prolonged services. CPT states in prolonged services that to bill prolonged services "it must relate to a service or patient where direct (face to face) patient care has occurred or will occur and relate to ongoing patient management."
    Who said anything about "Prolonged Services"? I was referring to the 99212-99215 codes.

Yeah I am quite aware of that. But with all the fraud going on you can submit bills when the patient was never in the office and get them paid. Basically what you are saying to go ahead and do!
    Excuse me, but I am not, nor will I ever, condone any kind of fraud and I resent the implication that I would. I am merely interpreting the CPT guidelines as written in the CPT book.

Yeah you should be billing prolonged services not E&M
    The prolonged services codes are add-on's for E&M services. You can't bill them without first billing an E&M code, so your statement makes no sense.

So I guess next time I will just go to the Pediatrician without my daughter and just tell him to bill for an office visit!
    I think you are missing the point, but whatever. I'm done with this conversation. Have a nice life.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast