opinions appreciated

1. Default opinions appreciated
    Medical Coding Books
    Our surgical practice recently merged with another surgical practice. When the merge happened I became the manager of the front desk and the coding manager. The front desk I am managing is from the other practice. They do most things a lot different than ours did it. I am not so sure one thing they have been told to do is a good idea for the front desk to be doing (probably because of my coding background too). Our superbill E/M section is broken into subsections of new patient visits (99201-99205), established patient visits (99211-99215) and consults (99241-99245). The front desk is required to highlight the section that the doctor should choose from. They don't highlight the exact level, just the section they "should choose from". I honestly do not think this responsibility should lie with the front desk. They do not truly know if this is a consult or regular visit. The former manager told them that if another office calls to schedule the appt or if they receive records from another physician, this is automatically a consult. I do not agree with this at all. I would love to hear other opinions on this.
    Last edited by nc_coder; 12-14-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling error... oops

I for one, would have to agree with you that it should not be done that way. Especially in light of the changes that medicare has made with the consult codes. It sounds to me like since you are the new acting manager, you will be able to implement a new way of doing things around there. I think that having you for a new acting manager couldn't have come at a better time for your employer. Congrats on the "promotion"!!

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by ltibbetts View Post
    i for one, would have to agree with you that it should not be done that way. Especially in light of the changes that medicare has made with the consult codes. It sounds to me like since you are the new acting manager, you will be able to implement a new way of doing things around there. I think that having you for a new acting manager couldn't have come at a better time for your employer. Congrats on the "promotion"!!
    i agree 100%.....
    Yolanda T. Haskins CPC, CRC, OHCC, AAPC Fellow
    Past AAPCCA Board of Directors 2014 - 2017

Alexandria, VA Chapter

~ Practice Kindness ~

I see nothing wrong with highlighting the "New Patient" or "Established Patient" section, but unless they are properly trained to distinquish a consult from a referral, then they should not be highlighting anything. I agree with you, it's not a sound way to do business.

5. Cool Opinions appreciated...
    Agree with you wholeheartedly!
    Last edited by AuntJoyce; 12-14-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Submitted before complete...oops

6. Default
    Thank you so much for all of the responses. It feels good to know that I am not alone in thinking this way. My front desk feels uncomfortable highlighting the areas. And saying that since I am the manager now, I should be able to implement some changes is much easier said than done around here.