AAPC - Back to school

Thread: global periods

Default global periods

AAPC: Back to School
    Where in the cpt would I find a listing of global periods? I find that most everything I look up has a 90 day global but is there an area that I am missing that goes into detail on time frames and stipulations for globals?

Check you CPT manual. In the Ingenix CPT it's in the Appendix E, Pub 100 References, plus after each procedure it list the global days.

Default global periods

Thank you for the direction. Unfortunately we do not have the Ingenix books so the appendix is not the same. I know that most of the codes related to OB I have looked into have a 90 day global but even when I look up the specific codes (which ever it may be at the time) it is not listed. Not in notes, front, back, or on codes; I find this very bizarre. For example the 59150 I know is a 90 day global but on page 255 of my CPT where the code is listed it does not reflect that information at all; anywhere that I can see. Any other tips?

Greeley, Colorado

I have never seen the global periods listed in the CPT Professional edition. I believe you can find them in the Expert edition (I am not a fan of that edition). You can find global days in the NCCI edits, the Medicare fee schedule, RBRVS manual, and most encoders. Also, they might be in the OB/GYN coding companion - I don't have mine handy at the moment.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  2. How to determine global period with 2 procedures/2 different global periods
    By AHVC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  3. global periods
    By Sherri Hillard in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 07:59 AM
  4. Global periods
    By jilly78 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
  5. Global Periods