The final statement in the 95 guidelines under the HPI section says 'The medical record should describe four or more elements of the present illness or associated comorbidities. Yes you can use more than one condition, illness etc. as long as you have the needed number of descriptors to meet the requirement of whatever CPT code was billed. If a 99223 is billed you will need 4 descriptors. Most of the time I find that I can get all 4 as they relate to the chief complaint which is the most ideal. I don't like to mix and match. Besides I may need to pull some things from the HPI to meet the ROS and you can't use them in both places. Hope that helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join