Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reference Tool for Anesthesia billing

Default Reference Tool for Anesthesia billing
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone have suggestions on a good reference tool for someone who has never billed for anesthesia?
    Tara Johnson, CPC

Hi Tara, I have some cheat sheets that might help u a lot, send me ur e-mail and I'll hand it to you.

3. Default
    Anesthesia & Pain Answers

http://www.anesthesiapainanswers.com/Default.aspx

Awesome source, I've used them for years.

Thanks very much!!
    Tara Johnson, CPC

Default Hi Choder
    Quote Originally Posted by choder View Post
    Hi Tara, I have some cheat sheets that might help u a lot, send me ur e-mail and I'll hand it to you.
    Happy New Year.

Can you send me the cheat sheets you mentioned above? Thanks a million!

Joanne

I noticed your response to some good tools for some one who has never billed for anesthesia. Could I also get a copy? cbsrathgeb@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Lisa

Default reference tool
    the crosswalk is really helpful too. Takes CPT codes and gives the ASA code along with the base units for each.

Default Base Unit Question
    I have never done any coding for this field. How does one calculate the base unit? Is this something the Dr. tells you or do you determine it based on the time spent?

Thanks
    Lisa

9. Default
    Lisa,

The base units can be found in the Relative Value Guide published by the ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists). It takes all the anesthesia codes from CPT and lists assigned base units for each. It also goes into more detail regarding anesthesia billing practices than the CPT does. I would not recommend coding anesthesia charges without it. Also, as mentioned above... you need the Crosswalk also published by the ASA, it crosses all cpt codes, which can be crossed, to the appropriate ASA code(s).

Anesthesia is billed by a combination of base units plus time units. for example: if an asa code's value is 3 and the surgery took 1 hour, you would use 3 base units plus 4 15 min time units: 3+4=7 X rate

The rate can range from about $50 up to about $75 per unit.

This is why it's important to know the base units so that you can choose the code with the highest value.

Default Box 24G of CMS 1500
    Hi guys,

When filling out the CMS 1500 electronically, in 24G (Days/Units), do you put the total time or the UNIT=Base unit+ Time unit?
    Also, do we have to put the start time and end time in Box 19 of the CMS 1500?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joanna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast