AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Need notes...

Default Need notes...

AAPC: Back to School
    We often get denials from payers asking for notes. Is there a way, say a cut off dollar value/category of CPTs, to determine codes which will require notes to be submitted during first submission to the payers? Unlisted codes and modifier 22 will require notes to be submitted.

Milwaukee WI

Default Unlisted, Mod 22, Mod 62

In addition to the Unlisted codes and Mod -22 uses, I've found that virtually every case of co-surgey winds up being delayed with a request for medical records.

This may vary with payer, as well.

(Our billing office will NOT automatically send records for any reason; they always wait for the request ... ARGGH)

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Yes when I use to bill for the hospital we had certain guidelines. I billed Medicaid and any Inpatient or Outpatient that was over a certain dollar amount they would always want notes so if you have a certain payer that is asking for notes you might try contacting them and asking them if there are certain codes, dollar amounts or anything else that they go by to know to ask for notes on.
    Herbie W Lorona Jr., CPC, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Doctor Notes Vs Nurse Notes
    By SJones52 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
  2. Help with Op notes!!!!!!
    By maine4me in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 09:26 AM
  3. Electronic Notes WITH handwritten notes
    By Debbie C in forum Auditing General Discussion