AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Preventative visit with problem

Default Preventative visit with problem

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know of any guidelines I can print out for my doctor regarding coding a problem visit with a preventative exam. I have explained to him the proper way to do this, but he still needs more clarification. Thank you!

Greeley, Colorado

The description of Preventive Services in CPT is very clear. Page 29 of the 2009 Professional Edition.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

First Hill Seattle

Wink prevent visit with a problem

If an abnormality is encountered or a preexisting condition is addressed in the process of performing a preventive medicine service and the problem/abnormality is significant enough to require additional work to perform the key components of a problem-oriented E/M service, then the appropriate E/M office outpatient visit may be reported.

Default prevent visit with a problem

I don't believe it is very clear. Based on the coders I have asked about this and information I have found, there seems to be variation in interpretation. For a patient there for a prevent when several chronic problems are reviewed and are all stable with no changes in meds I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Does anyone know of any other sources besides the CPT definition of a prevent that helps clarify this?

Thank you
    Dena CPC

Good article

Good Thread about this subject

Similar Threads

1. preventative and and problem focused E&M
    By lgrabner in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
  3. Billing Sick visit with Preventative Visit Reimbursement