AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Reconstruction of he aortic root

Unhappy Reconstruction of he aortic root

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi All
    I am having great difficulty finding any research material for
    Reconstruction of the aortic root abscess using a piece of pericardiam, this is being done in conjunction with an aortic valve replacement.
    synopsis of procedure
    "After freeing the aorta the transverse aortotomy was made, the aortic valve leaflet was fine and there was a large abscesses at the noncoronary cusp, as well as underneath the left cusp. The whole area with the valve excised, the area was lavaged very thoroughly. Afterwards the cavity fo the abscess was cultured with g... A piece of pericardium was taken and teh wall of the left ventricle just underneath the left coronary cusp to the entire left noncoronary cusp was patched with a pericardium." (then we go on and place the arotic valve) I just cant' beleive this is just an aortic valve replacement. and the codes I am looking at refer to repair for stenosis.
    I apprecieate all ideas,
    thanks so much
    Merry Christmas!

If any part of the ascending aorta was replaced as well, I would look at 33863. If not, I've been told by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons that you can use 33411 for root repair.

Hope this helps.

Lisi, CPC

Default reconstruction he arotic root

Thanks so much Lisi,
    I was toying with that one and a couple of others. The aortic root was not replaced. I have not had a lot of luck lately with the STS getting back to me.
    Again thank you very much!
    Merry Christmas!

Similar Threads

1. Aortic root replacement
    By Arleen in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  2. Aortic Root Angiogram?
    By AshleyMartin in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM
  3. Help with Aortic root replacement
    By jtb57chevy in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 07:06 AM
  4. Aortic Root Reconstruction with Aortic Valve replacement
    By AlaskaCpcCpb in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
  5. Aortic Root Repair/Reconstruction.......
    By conleyclan in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM