AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Inpatient consult billing outside surgery global

Question Inpatient consult billing outside surgery global

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm a new coder and I am trying to determine whether I can bill an inpatient consult code 99252 for a patient that my Neurosugeon did surgery on 5 months prior. on 6/2 the NS charged a 99242 w/ 331.4 obstructive hydrocephalus and subsequently operated on 6/11 - 62230 w/ 331.4. On 11/11 NS was consulted for patient readmission with dx of new onset of seizures. The attending wanted to r/o shunt malfunction. Can I charge a consult code since this is outside the global, different place of service and new diagnosis? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thank you.

Wink Inpatient consult...

Absolutely...go for it. Anytime your doc is consulted in-hospital, particularly for a new problem, there is no question. If your doc is consulted today and gives his/her opinion and does not assume treatment of this patient at this time - it is conceivable that the requesting party may even ask for another consult in a day or two (sometimes the condition changes, etc.).

Happy Holidays!

Awesome, thank you sooo much for the info!! Happy Holidays to you.

i agree, you sure can bill it.
    Dawnelle Beall, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I
    Licensed AAPC PMCC Instructor
    AAPC ICD-10CM Certified Trainer

Similar Threads

1. billing consult same day as surgery
    By tward01 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2015, 09:29 PM
  2. Inpatient Consult during Surgery
    By Tonyj in forum E/M
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 08:22 AM
  3. Consult billing on same day as Moh's Surgery?
    By Jen Verlinda in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
  5. Billing Consult day before surgery
    By kallenn in forum Cardiology
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM