AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Add-on Codes and Modifier 76

Default Add-on Codes and Modifier 76

AAPC: Back to School
    When using add-on codes, should the applicable add-on code be placed on one line of the claim with appropriate duts or should the add-on code be put on the claim along with modifier -76?

Columbia, MO

you would not use the 76 modifier as that is for a reapeated service not a procedure performed a second time in the same session at a separate area of the body. I know that some do advocate the use of units however I have observed in side by side comparison a much higher reimbursement using separate line items with the 59. If you have obnly one add on code then you need no modifier. I also agree that by definition you really do not need any modifier with multiple add on codes , however most payer will deny duplicate line items without the 59. Just my 2 cents here.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Add-on codes and modifier 59
    By zaidaaquino in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
  2. modifier 59 with add-on codes??
    By LaSeille in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM
  3. modifier and add-on codes
    By krssy70 in forum Modifiers