Results 1 to 7 of 7

Tax ID question

  1. #1
    Default Tax ID question
    Medical Coding Books
    Can a provider be listed under 2 seperate tax id #'s? It's for 2 different offices, not a hospital. He would see patients 1 day a week in our office, then take the charges back to his other office and have them bill. Is this possible?

    Kristin Spencer, CPC

  2. #2
    Marion, OH
    We had a physcian go to another location & bring back for us to charge. We always billed under our tax id and just changed the facility information. I hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Lauderdale Lakes, FL
    I would confirm the 2 different tax ID numbers. Yes, its possible to bill that way, but you will need to have different NPI numbers and your software and clearinghouse would have to be carefully set up to be able to distinquish which tax ID# to use.

  4. #4
    Charleston, South Carolina
    I would confirm the two tax ID#s also with a tax specialist. I am curious why you would have two IDs for the same provider. If the provider is "using space" as a satellite office, wouldn't it be the same as providers who have multiple locations? You would use the same ID# and just change the locations for each site.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

  5. #5
    Sure, it's possible. I see it all the time. A solo doctor that has two offices but wants separate accounting. And you don't need and from what I understand, can't get a separate NPI per the government just because you practice under more than one TIN with one specialty. The bookkeeper will have to set up two different 'businesses' per se, in their software. It will be a headache for bookkeeping because they will have to do everything in 2's. 2 monthly closings, 2 year end closings, two separate charge entry batches....2 everything. And remembering to switch from company 1 to company 2 and back again.....I hate the thought of it.

  6. #6
    White Plains, NY
    Two TINs also increases his ability to file fraudulent claims. I'm not saying that's why he has two TINs, but it is harder for data mining software to ferret out duplicate claims with two TINs.

  7. #7
    I have seen this done...just make sure the provider has a NPI # linked to each tax ID otherwise and credentialed with each carrier as such otherwise your revenue may be paid to the wrong tax ID # and you spend time refund and requesting money trying to clarify the matter with the carriers.

Similar Threads

  1. New Tax ID
    By Herbie Lorona in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2018, 08:50 AM
  2. Independant Consultant tax question.....
    By Debra in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 05:53 AM
  3. 2 tax id's question
    By cntrycmfort in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?


Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.