Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Splints - If the Dr orders a splint but a nurse

1. Default Splints - If the Dr orders a splint but a nurse
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello all

If the Dr orders a splint but a nurse applies it can you code it for the Dr. since he ordered the splint? we are having a controversy here and I was told we couldn't that the Dr. had to place the splint in order to bill. Can you please tell me where I can find it in writing either way..I appreciate any and all help.

Thank You
    Alice

2. Default
    I don't know where to find it in writing, but I was trained to code the application of the splint even if applied by the nurse. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I wish I had a black and white answer also...usually what happens in our ED is the physician orders, nurse applies but the physician does all of the neurochecks and examination following splint application.

4. Default
    I was taught that in order for an ER physician to bill for service, He/SHe must perform the service. Nursing Services are not billable by an ER physician because they are covered by the facility side. This would be considered double billing/unbundling.

Default Re splints
    The doc would have to state that he/she applied the splint to bill it out the the professional side. If he/she did not state that they did it or state the nurse/tech did it, nursing(facility)would get billed and not the doc for the application. hope that clears up some confusion.
    Pat A. Trautner, CCS/CPC/CEDC/CHONC

I did ER coding many years ago and we were told we could code the splint application if the ED doc checked the application and noted correct placement, etc. Not much help.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

7. Default
    For sprains I code splints if applied in the ED. For fractures I code the treatment code
    which includes splints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Curtis View Post
    I did ER coding many years ago and we were told we could code the splint application if the ED doc checked the application and noted correct placement, etc. Not much help.
    i think the doc always does the check, which is only required for medicare i have been told. However, he/she would actually have to do the procedure to get credit.
    Pat A. Trautner, CCS/CPC/CEDC/CHONC

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Curtis View Post
    I agree. I do both the facility and the pro fees and we always count the splint on the physicians side. If it is written somewhere that this is incorrect, can someone please let me know where to find it so I can advise the coders?

10. Default splints
    Thank You very much for everyone's input, we are having an audit today about the splints, so If they give me any hard facts about coding it or not I will let I will post it. Thanks again for all the help..alice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast