Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Coder Productivity

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by pdelorenzo View Post
    I agree Nancy and ShawnScarbrough!! - We are all working specialty, and case specific... If I'm in office - I can get a whole day done for all Orthos easy - 200 or more...
    If I'm coding the ambulatory surgeries - definately less - but I'm so familiar with their procedures - doesn't take me too long anymore. Then I have the trauma cases from the hospital... 1 case could take what feels like forever!!
    Have a great day everyone!

I feel like this with my homework. It takes me a long time with one operating report.

Default coding
    I code for a company that we code for all specialties. We have to do 125 a day and that is not counting the ones that we have to call about and get corrected. We have to keep log on the ones that we call about and have to call every 3 days till we get a response. This is in a 8 hour day.

Quote Originally Posted by rodriguj View Post
    I currently manage the ED coding for seven hospital ED's in Oregon. We do both the facility and the Physician coding for all ED patients. Here are our productivity and quality standards:

PRODUCTION AND QUALITY STANDARDS FOR ED CODERS

Definitions for Coders:
    Experienced Coders = Coders who have been coding ED accounts for greater than three (3) years:

Intermediate Coders = Coders who have been coding ED accounts for greater than two (2) years, but less than three (3) years.

Beginning Coders = Coders who have been coding ED accounts for less than two (2) years

Trainee Coders = Coders who are currently being trained by a preceptor and are not yet coding on their own.

PRODUCTION STANDARDS:

Experienced Coder:
    Meets = Average 7.0 to 8.9 charts per hour
    Exceeds = Average 9.0 or more charts per hour
    Needs Improvement = Less than 7.0 charts per hour

Intermediate Coder:
    Meets = Average 6.0 to 7.5 Charts per hour
    Exceeds = Average 7.5 or more charts per hour
    Needs Improvement = less than 6.0 charts per hour

Beginning Coder:
    Meets = Average 5.0 to 6.5 charts per hour
    Exceeds = Average 6.5 or more charts per hour
    Needs Improvement = Average less than 5.0 charts per hour.
    Training Coder:
    No set amount of chart

QUALITY STANDARDS:

Experienced Coder:
    Meets = Codes and abstracts with an average of higher than 95% accuracy rate
    Exceeds = Consistently 97% or higher accuracy
    Needs Improvement = consistently less than 95%

Intermediate Coder:
    Meets = Codes and abstracts with a consistent accuracy rate of 90% or higher
    Exceeds = Codes and abstracts with a consistent accuracy rate of 92% or higher
    Needs Improvement = Codes and abstracts with a consistent accuracy rate of less than 90%

Beginning Coder:
    Meets = Codes and abstracts with an average of 85% or higher accuracy
    Exceeds = Codes and abstracts with an average consistently higher than 87%
    Needs Improvement = Codes and abstracts with an averages consistently less than 85%

Trainee Coder:
    Must have average 80% or higher accuracy during first year

QUALITY STANDARDS FOR ED CODING

Quality will be measured by a five (5) point per chart system.

One (1) point each for the following chart elements
    :
    ProFee level Code
    Facility level Code
    All other CPT Codes (including observation, procedures, etc.)
    ICD.9 Codes
    Chart Abstracting (Correct disposition, physician, etc.)
    Thanks for breaking this down. I guess as a trainee we need to pace ourselves when it comes to coding from operating reports.
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 07-02-2009 at 11:22 PM.

4. Default
    smeeks31, I just finished school in May and passed the certification exam in June. I have been looking for coding jobs and they all want 2-3 yrs expereince. How did you get your job? How scary was it trying to meet the coding numbers and accuracy rates? I honestly am nervous reading this, but mostly still very excited and so wanting to be able to start coding somewhere.
    Karla Nitchmann CPC-A
    Biloxi, MS

5. Default
    Than you Sonjagirl for reprinting the information from Rodriguj. It explains a lot about the coder and how you grow. I clearly am a trainee. How does a trainee find a job?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlaarts View Post
    Than you Sonjagirl for reprinting the information from Rodriguj. It explains a lot about the coder and how you grow. I clearly am a trainee. How does a trainee find a job?

You're welcome.

Since you are certified, register with Project X-tern. Search the Internet or newspaper and send your resume to ads--even if you don't have any working experience. Then follow through with a phone call to each one by explaining that you are certified and that you're trying to get your "foot in the door" since you don't have coding experience. They may put you in a different position as a file clerk, biller, or administrative assistant, or they may let you in as a coder trainee just to see how you work out.

If anyone give you a break, start coding operating reports related to this particularly specialty. This worked out with my former coworker, but I don't know how she's doing now though.

Did you find the CPC coding exam overwhelming?
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 07-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.

I was forced to encrypt 3-5 page e/m, radiology dictations, etc... in twenty seconds or less at a 98 percent error rate. Then at one employer they required two hundred fifty charts a day at a 97 percent error rate.

My instructor is teaching me a type of inpatient coding that requires a coder to code 12'' thick inpatient chart at three charts per day at 96 percent error rate..... it is like the more education you get the slower you are allowed to code....

8. Default
    [QUOTE=charonate;9202]When I used to code radiology it was required to code 400 notes in a 8 hr/day with a 95% accuracy.QUOTE]

I also code in Radiology, and we are to code 600 a day with 95% accuracy.

9. Default
    i work in a aute car hospital doing all surgeries. we are required to do 4.5 per hour... that in cludes reaing op notes , path reports, and history and physical.we do all modifiers and code for medical neccessity....ekg,labs etc...

10. Default
    I work for a 236 bed facility and code both inpatient and outpatient short procedures along with observations. Our standards are 14-15 IP per 8 hr day and 36 short procedure/observation per 8 hr day. Our facility is now looking into a computer aided coding system by 3M to help with productivity. Our office recently has lost a few of their more experienced coders and the productivity has been slipping on IP. When we get this program, we are going to be expected to code 24 IP charts per day.

I have been at this facility for just over a year and am CPC certified. I find no problem meeting and exceeding the SP/Observation standards (can code about 50-60 per day) but we do see alot of edits for lack of medical necessity that drive me crazy. Correcting those eat up alot of time.

As for the IP, I have only been coding since Oct 08. Currently I am coding about 8-9 charts per day. However, it depends on the chart. A more lengthy stay requires more time. I have been able to meet the 14-15 if the chart is a short stay, mother, baby or psych chart. Documentation has alot to do with it. We also have the CDMP (clinical documentation management program) at our hospital. I still find that I have alot of queries and this slows down my productivity. At our facility, you are expected to meet the IP goal regardless of the time and amount of queries you have to send out.

If anyone has any information they would like to share on the 3M computer aided coding I would love to hear the stories.

Kelly