Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Coder Productivity

Medical Coding Books
    I code in radiology and have for the past 10+ years. My range is between 200 and 400 studies per day. But in addition to coding I also have transcription, billing, billing inquiries, receptionist and administrative assistant to 12 doctors. My day is pretty busy. I am lucky to get 250 in on a day when I am typing or making up the schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by jifnif View Post
    I code in radiology and have for the past 10+ years. My range is between 200 and 400 studies per day. But in addition to coding I also have transcription, billing, billing inquiries, receptionist and administrative assistant to 12 doctors. My day is pretty busy. I am lucky to get 250 in on a day when I am typing or making up the schedules.

Sounds to me like a pretty busy day too...

I think it's nice to get other duties besides coding too, you get a variety... so to speak, although I would like to be doing more coding I don't think I could sit and do just coding all day. I guess it's because of where I am coming from to.

Have a good week,
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

3. Default
    I don't understand how this is possible... It takes me all day to code anywhere between 50-75 surgeries from begining to end. Could it be because the length of the reports, or the speciality? I am coding Orthopedic Surgeries, and the reports are most often close to 2 full pages. Should I be worried that I am not up to speed?

Quote Originally Posted by pdelorenzo View Post
    I don't understand how this is possible... It takes me all day to code anywhere between 50-75 surgeries from begining to end. Could it be because the length of the reports, or the speciality? I am coding Orthopedic Surgeries, and the reports are most often close to 2 full pages. Should I be worried that I am not up to speed?
    Don't understand how what is possible...
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default Re: Coder Productivity
    I'd like to clarify the numbers that have been mentioned in this thread. When the coding is strictly operative reports, what are the expected production amounts?
    I think this is a GREAT use of this community! This is a way we can use real-life examples of what other coders are doing with the same type of work.

Thanks in advance!

6. Default
    We need to put 90 out an hour

Our procedure coders are required 6/hour and our E/M coders are required 20 per hour.

Question for dabroussard. Do you code surgical cases from the op note or E/M visits.
    Terri Winsor, CPC, CCC

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer1964 View Post
    We need to put 90 out an hour
    I don't see anyone coding over 20 cases an hour if coding strictly from the operative reports.
    Terri Winsor, CPC, CCC

Quote Originally Posted by pdelorenzo View Post
    I agree with you. I only average the same as you and I have been coding general surgery for 15 years.
    Terri Winsor, CPC, CCC

10. Default
    These are my production standards for the facility I code at. 15 minutes for inpatient chart, 6 mintues for short stay, ambulatory surgery, 2 mintues per er encounter, 1 mintue per lab or xray encouter.

Quote Originally Posted by kunzecpc View Post
    Greetings!

I'm doing some research for my job about coder productivity standards. I haven't found any specifics on the internet, so I'm guessing each employer sets their own standards for productivity. I'm asking you as my peers to give a little feedback.

My questions are: Will you please respond with the productvity standard (number of encounters that you are required to code - either by the hour, or 8 hour workday) for your clinic or facility? Also, what percentage of coding accuracy are you required to maintain?

Thanks in advance!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast