AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Coder Productivity

Greater Pittsburgh

AAPC: Back to School
    I agree with TWinsor & pdelorenzo, I code for Orthopaedic Surgeons I have 14 different surgeons and anatomical specialties along with trauma cases and I work a 10 hour day. I usually code and post on average 100 cases, it really does depend on how detailed the surgery is.....the cases most often have 2- 5 pages of dictation to read. Hope this helps and relieves some worries of others.
    jdemar, CPC, CMA

I perform Second Level Review for a bill review company . For E/M bills the average production rate is 12-20 per hour depending on the length of report and the specialty, it averages out to 3-5 minutes per bill. For procedures with modifier 59 codes it can range 1 -3 minutes. This includes documenting the rationale for the coding analysis result.

I review surgery and radiolology bills as well and he timing is different. It all depends on the specialty and how detailed the coder is.
    I hope this helps.

We do both. We code preop exam visit, surgery, and post op

Default Greetings

I just recently started at a local hospital, ER coding. I was told 94 - 125 per day. I thought that was overwhelming, since I just started in the field and still learning the 3M software. They code almost everything the doc. writes on the sheet, including hx of anxiety or depression, even if the patient came in for a broken leg. They said they want to cover medical necessity. I didn't think that would apply in ER coding. Any insight on this ?
    Deb M, CPC

Our Surgery dept is 60 lines per hour

Baton Rouge Local Chapter

Default Hope this helps......

I found a survey on AHIMA's webiste once, I can't locate it now but it stated that outpatient coders should be able to code 160 charts per hour. My coders also have to balance and bill so I set their productivity at 120 per hour and they are expected to have at least a 90% accuracy rate.

When I coded ER, I was required to code between 24-26 charts per 8 hour day (24 for EMR, 26 for paper charts). We had to code at a 5% error ratio or under per month.

Des Moines, IA

Default Coder Productivity

I work for a large Medical Center with 2 hospitals and several outpatient clinics. We have standards set for all the different types of coding done. For Outpatient coding we have to code 20 per hour, this covers radiology, labs, ambulance and various other outpatient procedures done. For surgery coding it is 8 per hour, Observation is 5 per hour, inpatient is 28 per day and ER coding is 75 per day. We are required to have 95% accuracy. Hope this helps. We also all have our own queue to look at daily for claims that have been denied and need to be looked at again and this is also part of our productivity.
    Last edited by jojo2922; 04-08-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Des Moines, IA

Quote Originally Posted by pdelorenzo View Post
    I don't understand how this is possible... It takes me all day to code anywhere between 50-75 surgeries from begining to end. Could it be because the length of the reports, or the speciality? I am coding Orthopedic Surgeries, and the reports are most often close to 2 full pages. Should I be worried that I am not up to speed?
    The hospital I work for requires 8 per hour for surgeries and this is for all specialties. From what I've found and heard, this is about the norm.

Default Productivity

At my previous job, the minimum requirement for a coder was 17 an hour per 8 hour day. The requirements were a little different for auditors. My new job requirement is auditing 90 records per 8 hour day. Accuracy standard is a miminum of 95% and is VERY strict.

Last edited by okiesawyers; 04-08-2008 at 07:20 PM.