AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Coder Productivity

Question production standards

AAPC: Back to School
    I was wondering if you are keying what you code or do you have a data entry person that does the keying? thanks

Des Moines, IA

Quote Originally Posted by kristiehope View Post
    I was wondering if you are keying what you code or do you have a data entry person that does the keying? thanks
    We do our own data entry, coding the chart straight into our system.

[ i code for radiologist, i do about 800 to a 1000 reports in 8 hrs. 95% accuracy is required, we code from our computers not paper. i love it

I used to code radiology. 400 is not such a busy day due to the repetitive nature of the codes. I loved getting 71010.

Ocala, FL

I have a question regarding the coding productivity. As far as the response from the EM coders, are you actually reading the chart, abstracting the information and determining the level or are you entering the EM codes the doctors select? I do EM coding (outpatient new and established, office consults, ER) and it really surprises me that a coder in a 7- 7 1/2 hour day coding that many EM's with 95% accuracy. Just curious to know. Same with some of the other cases that some of the coders speak of, are they actually reading the charts, abstracting the information, derterming the ICD-9 code and CPT codes themselves, or inputing codes that a provider selected. I am not trying to insult anyone, but I am really curious.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight to their coding day and their Productivity
    Last edited by alexander; 05-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lhamilton View Post
    Does anyone have any productivity standards for e/m and surgical coding in the ortho office? Thanks in advance! lauren
    I code for ER Physcians for 10 differents states at least, my quota is 275 a day

Default Patients or Codes?

Again - I for one REALLY appreciate all of the helpful information on productivity on this thread!

A question for all of you that have responded with your numbers --are you counting patients or codes? Example: You have 1 patient that had 5 encounters in the hospital (consult, subsequent hosp visits, etc.) - do you count it as 1 patient or 5 line items?

I am so glad to hear this includes all kinds of specialities, surgeries, E&M's, radiology and so forth. I was really begining to worry about my productivity.
    I am a very detailed coder, (I think 99% of us are - you have to be to work in this field, right??!!) and sometimes it can back me up a bit.
    I am relieved to hear everyones input though! I forget (being consumed in my own work) how many aspects, and specialties there are for coders!!
    Thank you all for sharing!!

I wonder if the AAPC would be willing to handle such a survey?
    Last edited by PatriciaCPC; 04-14-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Smile coding

I code radiology and have a productivity rate of 150 per hour.

Grand Canyon Coders

When I worked with a hospital, coding radiology, I was expected to code 60 reports per hour - accuracy was not an issue with them - just get those charges in!!!

Now where I work - productivity is not an issue - do what you can, but I still keep track and I average between 58-60 per hour still.

Take care