AAPC - Back to school
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Coder Productivity

Talking Productivity

AAPC: Back to School
    I work in a research hospital and I code outpatient accts and we have it set up that you code 15 EHR an hour with 97%. And I have been doing this for 6months out of school for 1 year. So far I have reach from March of 08' 12 EHR an hour. I think I have accomplished alot in the 6months of training as you say in coding now. I can look at the charges and know exactly what I to code. We have been heavenly into the quality and not trying to drown the UB04 with millions of codes on them.

Cool coding productivity

did e.r. coding for 3 years. productivity level is 28-29 in an hour, with a 95%accuracy level. hope this helps

Default Productivity

Hello Everyone,
    I love this forum! I code Emergency room and Trauma charts from online but
    after coding online I have to complete an encounter form -writing out the
    Diagnosis codes-Procedure-E/M level then circle this information on another
    part of the form-write patient account number-name-dos-physician name-
    peds-adult-fast track-my initials and date coded. And my director wants
    us to code 200 charts a day! It is impossible! Of course our accuracy must be 95%. This is along with sending our physicians feedback on the send back charts that need to be completed. Does this sound impossible to anyone else? If we were just online--I could see 200.

Smile Productivity

AHIMA has a Practice Brief which lists productivity standards.

When working as a coder/auditor in the outpt setting we required 150 encounters a day with a 95% accuracy. It was not difficult to meet those standards. As an auditor for inpt I'm required to audit 8 records an hour with a 99% accuracy.

Kelley Hettig, CPC, CCP, CCP-AS

Charm City Baltimore

Post radiology coding

I code for radiology too, and we are required to code 500, in a 7 & 1/2 hour work day, for new coders. And then it increases over time, with more experience to 1000. And errors have to be less than 3% when auditing.

Default Samau

Expectation is approx 600 CPT's day depending on if you are coding an imaging center or hospital site, and we get audited every 3 months with a required 95% accuracy

Default Ok you guys are scaring me

Quote Originally Posted by megan518 View Post
    I code for radiology too, and we are required to code 500, in a 7 & 1/2 hour work day, for new coders. And then it increases over time, with more experience to 1000. And errors have to be less than 3% when auditing.
    I have just finished CPT ICD-9 and am looking for a job right now. I take the certification exam june 14th. I love coding but oh man my stomach is turning reading all your stories. Does it come easy when you get hired. Do they train you on the software? I only know how to code from just going to the book. Will it be hard finding a job being I am a beginner? I have sent resumes out and have not heard from anyone!!!

would you give me your experiences when you were first hird

Wink ShawnS

First you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. All standards need to be based on your particular situation.

If your coders have to flip through pages and pages of hand written notes you should not expect them to be as efficient as one that has a very sharp templated electronic note system.

You need to take into account the types of procedures they are having to code. A complicated cardiothoracic case is definately going to take longer than a tonsillectomy. Coders that code the same thing day after day should be more productive than perhaps a Trauma coder.

Another factor that can play a role in coding ED can be the facility coding. My coders code both the physician and the hospital services, so their productivity looks low compared to ED coders that only code the professional side if you are comparing charts per hour.

You really need to determine what levels of coding you have occurring in your establishment. Look at your best coders and consider them above the standard and then rank all of your coders by length of time coding and experience. Then I would try to sort through either giving a weight to CPT codes or using an overall charts per hour scale.

Hang in there!
    Last edited by ShawnScarbrough; 05-20-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Newport News Virginia

Default Productivity

Productivity standards are based upon specialty and Company requirements. You need to take in consideration the fact of work flow, enviroment and tools-material provided to coders and auditors to performed their assigments.

(eg- if the coder-auditor is performing straight coding without the need of searching for information missing on the record, it would take less time than coders that have to request and search for information).

Coding for XRays, EKG's, PFT and similiar coding is more straight forward than coding for surgeries and family practice. The used of "cheat sheets" are very helpfull. As you could see the lady who coded 400 reports for radiology went down to 150 reports for urology coding. That is because you need to read more and make sure the coding is supported by documented information including lab and path reports.

Our coding team productivity is 150-200 per day, for Family Practice and Specialties, and 400+ for Radiology Coding with a 95% accuracy.

Ruth Egipciaco, CPC, PCS