Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Coder Productivity

1. Smile Internal Coder
    Medical Coding Books
    Amazing productivity numbers!? Are you looking at the documentation?

Marjorie

Wink
    I CODE FOR RADIOLOGY GROUP AND I AM EXPECTED TO CODE AT LEAST 150 PROCEDURES A DAY. I ALSO ANSWER PHONES AND VERIFY ELIGIBILITY. I ALSO OBTAIN REFERRING DOCTOR INFO AND MAKE SURE AUTH MATCHES PROCEDURES. I THINK 400 CLAIMS PER DAY WOULD BE OUTRAGEOUSLY STRESSFUL!
    Last edited by AForeman; 06-09-2008 at 03:38 PM.

I too agree we need to make sure that we are comparing apples to apples. I code for critical care/trauma surgeons, there is no way in the world I could reach some of the numbers mentioned. We have minor procedures such as bronchs, feeding tubes etc. on the same day as emergency surgeries and the original E&M/Critical Care visit. The modifiers alone can drive you crazy.

If you are coding the same 10 or 15 procedures over and over with the same 20 or 30 covered dx yes I can see 400 a day, but otherwise I just don't see it. (Just to put it in perspective I have been coding almost 8 years)
    Last edited by rjconnell; 06-09-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Rachel C. Ashley, CPC-E/M
    Houston, TX

4. Default VA Outpatient Coding
    We are required to code at least 60-65 event counts per week and our audits are internal as well as external by CBI. We must maintain 95% or better by outside as well as internal audits.

I don't think you're going to find an industry "standard". Every case is unique. I work in pediatric hospital and code for the physician side...ENT, Plastics, Urology, General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Interventional Radiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, E&M....just about everything.

I can code 20-25 ENT cases in an hour if they're straight forward ear tubes or T&A's. On the other hand, it may take an hour to do one cardiothoracic, neurosurgery or orthopaedic case depending on the complexity. I code directly from the operative report.

Nancy, CPC, CPC-H

Default productivity
    I work for a radiology billing company and they normally expect at least 500-600 CPTs daily and accuracy of 95%.. We are audited every 3 months.

7. Default
    I agree Nancy and ShawnScarbrough!! - We are all working specialty, and case specific... If I'm in office - I can get a whole day done for all Orthos easy - 200 or more...
    If I'm coding the ambulatory surgeries - definately less - but I'm so familiar with their procedures - doesn't take me too long anymore. Then I have the trauma cases from the hospital... 1 case could take what feels like forever!!
    Have a great day everyone!
    Last edited by PatriciaCPC; 07-16-2008 at 09:41 AM.

I am a Revenue Cycle auditor and my team thinks reviewing 80 claims a month is too much! After hearing all your productivity numbers, I'm wondering what we are doing with all of our time! To be fair, we also have to audit the 1500 as well as the coding information and then enter all that data into a database with a 95% accuracy rate.
    DJ

Default Coder's Productivity For Dermatology
    Could someone give me some feed back on (Dermatology only) biller's productivity doing data entry into an EPIC billing system. I was told that the
    doctors do their own coding. I'm starting a new job as a billing & collection operations manager the first of August that has 11 Derm physicians. I came from a teaching physician hospital where they were hung up on dollars and cents just how much money was generated in a day and RVU's.
    Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    D. Bryant, M.A.,CPC
    Last edited by dbryant; 07-23-2008 at 01:56 PM.

10. Post caya
    presently i code for the emergency department, physician side. we are required to code any where from 13 to 15 charts an hour and our accuracy percentage must not fall below 95. where exactly administration came up with these figures from i really do not know. i do know that we have a compliance department at this hospital and basically all of our policies, procedures, guidelines come from them. hope i could help you some how.