AAPC - Back to school
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Coder Productivity

AAPC: Back to School
    I code same day surgies for all specialities. I am the only ambulatory surgery coder for an army medical center which performs between 350-500 procedures a month and I am required to code 20 a day with 98% accuracy. I code straight from the report along with printing and diagnosing from pathology reports. After obtaining cpt, diagnosis codes, modifiers and anesthesia I also do the data entry. I only have 15 days from the DOS to code and enter or my work is considered out of compliance and that is including weekend days and holidays.

Default Calculations for productivity....

Okay I have read through this thread but I would like to know...How is all this computed to get the numbers by the hour to know you have made productivity. So like at our facilty (Hospital) big facility so we have 4 outpatient coders who code for the clinics and its all icd-9 coding and you have to do 15 charts an hour with 95%. Now instead of waiting for my manger to send the result at the end of the month. How can I compute my time to know that I hit productivity for the month?
    MOL, CPC

Red face Productivity

The company I work for has us code 300 a day coding is for ED and E&M physician side. what do you think about that productivity???
    Would like some feed back.

Default Peripheral Seminars

I'm Looking For A Really Good Peripheral Coding Seminar. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions?

Default Production

We have a billing department with 3 full time coders, 1 full time "Quality Coding Analyst" that does not code. Actually we don't know what this person does. We code for the professional services for Womens Care, OBGyn residents, Hospitalist, Pediatric Faculty for a State University, Pediatric, Surgical, Orthopedic (maybe 10 surgeries per month) and Family Medicine Residency Program (mostly E/M). There is also a Family Medicine Clinic with staff physicians and the residents, they see roughly 100 patients per day. There is one FAmily Medicaine coder with the responsibility of coding the ICD-9 codes on the physician provided diagnosis, and adding 25 modifiers when needed. These tickets are always behind.
    We not only have NO quotas, we have NO production requirements, we have NO accuracy requirements. There are NO/NONE/NOTTA expectations of these positions. Yeah! for us. In fact a PRN coder was added to pick up the slack ( ) The PRN coder is on Maternity leave and we have another PRN coder covering. None of the coding positions code from progress notes or reports. All the physicians select the level of service and link all the dx codes.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I grow tired of this and being bored. I stretch out 20 hours of work into 40. The other coders do the same. The manager is not a coder, she has no clue. Audits, whatever, in three years no one has audited my work, corporate office did perform an audit and pulled 3 charts for 3 of the 8 physicians I code for. Yes, that was the audit. No internal or external true audits. Just the 3 dates of service per year. Which will now end because we no longer have a Federal Corporate Integrity Agreement to do so.
    Life is good. We are a "don't ask, don't tell" business office. In fact these facts were brought to the attention of the managers-manager, no thing done. We will all continue to stay on personal phone calls all day, balance our check books, surf the web and get paid for coding for 40 hours. What a gig.

Consider yourselves lucky that you are in a position that you can have pride in your work, you have goals and deadlines to meet. A feeling of achievement and expectations. Some of the expectations are extreme and sound crazy, but they do put a "value" on what you do for a living.

Hi. I was very happy to see this question posted because I actually posted a very similar question just last week and received no answers. I code for a Radiology group and there are two of us coding and we typically code 600-800 in a 8hr day ( CPT and ICD-9). The reason I was interested in what other offices required was because our manager is looking for us to increase our quota. I personally don't see how we can and be accurate.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Heidi - CPC

Columbus, OH

All of the input here for this topic has been great. But I am a bit mystified by what some of you are actually giving productivity amounts for. Someone mentioned outpatient and I wasn't sure if they meant E/M or surgical procedures done in the outpatient setting.

Does anybody out there code NeuroSurgery E/M? If so, how many per day or per hour are you required to code? And what percentage of accuracy do you have to maintain? When I code E/M, I am coding the service level and category of service as well as the ICD-9 codes that apply. (and any necessary modifiers)

I do agree with what Ruth said on 6/6/08, that it depends on work flow, available resources and environment - as well as what the specialty is - in order to fairly determine a production standard.

I appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by srarick; 02-09-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: more info

Wink Coders Productivity

I am a supervisor for a physicians group. Our productivity for Radiology Coding is 350 documented exams in a 71/2 hr work day, depending on if it is straight diagnostic or if some more specialty exams are within the batch (ie, Interventional, CT's, MRI's or biopsies.)

For our Multi specialty coders being that we code from Neuro., Gen., Vascular, Urology and many sub-specialty surgeries and E/M we tend to ask our coders that they be within a 3-5 day date of surgery work lag week (ie, Date of service 03/03/2009 should be coded and billed within that same week or beginning of the following week 03/04/2009-03/10/2009).

When we do the hiring process I tend to give actual charts/OR documentation with all patient Information blacked out per HPPA regulations. They have 20 charts/procedures to code within 90 mins, we would like at least 15 done and accurate. It has been very successful in our placement of coders because it tend to let us know exactly where we could use the coder in strenghths verses weaknessess. It also let us know if a candidate is teachable when it come to the process of coding for our physicians.

I hope this is a bit helpful as every facility has it's own way of cranking out the work, I like to think that accurate work is better than a bunch of non accurate work being processed because it will only make for double work in the end.

Smile Calculating Productivity

I have created an excel sheet for my coders called Lag Report Sheets. What we use this sheet for is to kind of get where our productivity numbers should and could be. We have each coder to keep track of what they code each day and how many of each specialties they code in that batch no matter what specialty surgery or E/M.

We then take those numbers collectively to see how much and what each coder has coded and depending on the coder from the highest to lowest number we come up with a median and use that as our production log and as the experience increases then the coders get the hang of their specialty; therefore the numbers increase and then we insure the accuracy does not decrease, with weekly training and yes I account for the training time spent in those lag sheets we account for everything the coder may have to do in that day to get our numbers as close and fairly as possible because after all we expect it to increase so we have to start off with the right median giving room for improvement.

Someone also asked if we code neurosurgery and yes we do, it would depend on the surgeon and how many E/M he does in a day. We have 4 neuro surgeons and 3 coders for them. I have coded 93 E/M visits in a 2 hour time span before, but that was focusing on nothing but the E/M coding and not stopping to do any other coding and these reports can be very lengthy when coding E/M and diagnosis, as we code everything. We have others to enter the charges though.

Quote Originally Posted by MLARSON61 View Post
    I perform Second Level Review for a bill review company . For E/M bills the average production rate is 12-20 per hour depending on the length of report and the specialty, it averages out to 3-5 minutes per bill. For procedures with modifier 59 codes it can range 1 -3 minutes. This includes documenting the rationale for the coding analysis result. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I have a question regarding the coding productivity. As far as the response from the EM coders, are you actually reading the chart, abstracting the information and determining the level or are you entering the EM codes the doctors select? I do EM coding (outpatient new and established, office consults, ER) and it really surprises me that a coder in a 7- 7 1/2 hour day coding that many EM's with 95% accuracy. Just curious to know. Same with some of the other cases that some of the coders speak of, are they actually reading the charts, abstracting the information, derterming the ICD-9 code and CPT codes themselves, or inputing codes that a provider selected. I am not trying to insult anyone, but I am really curious.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight to their coding day and their Productivity
    I agree. 3 - 5 minutes per bill seems like a miniscule amount of time to read and abstract a note, look up the correct ICD9 and CPT codes, create feedback and deliver it to the provider, review the provider response, delete incorrect entries and then enter the correct codes, and file your records--in addition to the other work one must do beyond this, such as general emails, phone calls, education and training, file organizing, meetings, ordering charts, printing workfile lists, updating notes on the status of pending feedback responses, traveling to get charts, deliver written feedbacks, etc.

3 - 5 minutes sounds more like charge entry than the coding and feedback process. My E/M notes tend to be 2 - 4 pages long, which means that just reading the note within 3 minutes requires reading about 500 words per minute. So to have time to also abstract, do feedback and data entry would require more like 1000 or more words per minute reading time to give you some time to process the note. To fully comprehend the note at this speed would put you well beyond world record levels. So we need more details to understand what you're actually doing at this speed.

"The average American adult reads prose text at 250 to 300 words per minute."
    "While proofreading materials, people are able to read at 200 wpm on paper, and 180 wpm on a monitor."
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_p...te#cite_note-3