Knee Scope with Open Hardware Removal

1. Default Knee Scope with Open Hardware Removal
    Exam Training Packages
    Here is a knee surgery I am having difficulty with - The payor is BS OF MASS.

Patient had an ORIF of a tibial plateau with plates and screws several years ago and has had knee pain refractory to nonoperative management.

The doc found through the arthroscopy - synovitis in the suprapatellar pouch, chondromalacia patellofemoral joint, lateral meniscus tear. He also removed the plates and screws status post lateral tibial plateau ORIF.

These are the procedures listed: ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Arthroscopic partial synovectomy, chondroplasty of the patellofemoral joint and lateral compartment, partial lateral meniscectomy and then OPEN removal of plates and screws s/p lateral tibial plateau ORIF with bone grafting for the defects left from the screw removals. He used Grafton and cancellous chips.

I would think I cannot bill for the partial synovectomy and chondroplasty of the lateral compartment for OA but I am confused about the modifiers and how to code the open hardware removal with bone grafting.

Thanks for any help - HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!!!

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Denise View Post
    Here is a knee surgery I am having difficulty with - The payor is BS OF MASS.

Patient had an ORIF of a tibial plateau with plates and screws several years ago and has had knee pain refractory to nonoperative management.

The doc found through the arthroscopy - synovitis in the suprapatellar pouch, chondromalacia patellofemoral joint, lateral meniscus tear. He also removed the plates and screws status post lateral tibial plateau ORIF.

These are the procedures listed: ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Arthroscopic partial synovectomy, chondroplasty of the patellofemoral joint and lateral compartment, partial lateral meniscectomy and then OPEN removal of plates and screws s/p lateral tibial plateau ORIF with bone grafting for the defects left from the screw removals. He used Grafton and cancellous chips.

I would think I cannot bill for the partial synovectomy and chondroplasty of the lateral compartment for OA but I am confused about the modifiers and how to code the open hardware removal with bone grafting.

Thanks for any help - HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!!!
    29881-79
    20680-58
    20900-58 for bone grafting.

I didnt check edits, but that is what i would code this as.
    Melissa, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvRock View Post
    29881-79
    20680-58
    20900-58 for bone grafting.

I didnt check edits, but that is what i would code this as.
    Melissa, CPC
    Since the injury was "many years ago" I would not use the 79/58 modifiers. Those would only be needed if the patient were in the global period.
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

4. Default Arthroscopy with Hardware Removal
    Thanks guys -

I have a question though - if the doc performed a chondroplasty in the patellofemoral joint and a partial lateral meniscectomy along with the hardware removal - would I be able to use G0289 for the chondroplasty in a different compartment?

Thanks again so much

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Denise View Post
    Thanks guys -

I have a question though - if the doc performed a chondroplasty in the patellofemoral joint and a partial lateral meniscectomy along with the hardware removal - would I be able to use G0289 for the chondroplasty in a different compartment?

Thanks again so much

Denise
    I say yes.

6. Default Knee Scope and Hardware Removal
    Thanks everyone - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your support!!

I am learning so much -

Muche appreciated.

Denise