If you look in this months issue of Coding Edge there is an article on consultations and a cutout with information presented at the November AMA symposium.
Anyway this states that "CMS does away not only with the consultation codes, but with all consultation requirements as outlined in CMS policy. However it goes on to say that certain as of yet undetermined documentation requirements may be necessary to demonstrate medical necessity for E&M services billed in place of consultations - especiall if two physicians are seeing the same patient for the same dx. So the report could be the way to show the service is distinct.
I felt this was right on the money so I would encourage the documentation to stay the same in the event you may need that for an appeal.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join