AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Help with determining History type

Question Help with determining History type

AAPC: Back to School
    If a patient is coming in to discuss lab results, has a new dx, such as hypothyroidism for which they are given a script for thyroid replacement. I've got: "here to follow-up lab results," VS were obtained, noted no allergies, date of LMP, and a note "well-nourished, well-developed, no apparent distress, afebrile, BMI out of recommended rnge, Class I obesity with BMI 32.1.

I have a review of 3 systems (constituitonal, endocine and allergy), also that pt does not smoke (social hx). What level hx would you call that?

Thanks in advance!

Because the patient is only coming in to discuss lab results, I would say that the hypothyroidism is a brief HPI. You have a detailed ROS and PFSH, but you can only use an expanded problem focused History due to the HPI elements. That is just my take on it. Hope that helps.

I would code a 99213 - exp prob foc HPI, Exam not needed, and a moderate MDM due to the New dx with work up and chronic illness with mild exacerbation.
    Last edited by krssy70; 01-04-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Kristen Richard, CPC

Thank you! That is how I have been looking at it, but just wanted to doible-check myself.

Thanks again!

Similar Threads

1. Need help with determining type of Laceration repair
    By coder1013 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
  2. Determining E/M Level
    By dyoungberg in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
  3. Determining COB
    By MARCIE CPC CRC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion