If a visit was done, and then the actual decision to operate was made then, you can bill it with the modifier -57. (-25 for minor procedures) Make sure it is documented to reflect this.
For the visits done a week or so before the surgery you don't need the -57. While it probably won't hurt your claim, this just isnt the right use for it. 57 modifier is meant to unbundle an E/M from the global surgical package.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join