20680 is the more appropriate code. CPT states that 20680 is for removal of buried wires, pins, screws, metal band, etc. 27704 is for the removal of products of arthroplasty. Per the Ingenix Coding Companion for Orthopaedics, the explanation for 27704 is "the preexisting skin incision is opened and the tibial and talus components are removed with accompanying cement".
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join