CST - Certified Surgical Tech-can you bill?

Default CST - Certified Surgical Tech-can you bill?
    Medical Coding Books
    Question : one of our Surgeon is wanting to hire a RN that is also a CST does anyone know if you can bill for a RN, CST to assist in surgeries? Any feed back would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Leslie

Default My two cents
    You can, however beware that a lot of payors do not recognize CST's as providers and the appeals that have to be done are astronomical. It would be in his best interest to hire a PA instead. Medicare/Medicaid both recognize them as providers once you have done the appropriate paperwork and its much easier to get paid. We have two PA's and one SA and trust me, I would much rather use the PA for our surgical cases however thats not always feasible. The other advantage to a PA is that they can see patients, prescribe, etc.

Hope this offers insight
    Mary Bort, CPC

thanks for your two cents....I appreciate any info

Default Certified Registered Operating Nurse or a Certified Operating Registered Nurse
    Can you bill for CORN or a CRON (see title above)
    We have a physician that is convinced that you can bill for a "First Assist" regardless of wether it is a physician or nurse assisting...I have really never heard of such ... any information will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

I have never heard of such either, perhaps there are others out there that have??? If it is possible..bottom line is still...you will have to FIGHT for the money because some carriers do not recognize them as providers (specifically Medicare/Medicaid).