AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Help with modifiers

Default Help with modifiers

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm currently taking a course for CPC certification, and have run across a couple of modifier questions that I need help with.

First, can anyone tell me what the modifier -AS is used for?

Second, I need to find a modifier or modifiers for Global Fee Package.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Glynis Neves

-AS is an HCPSC modifier used for Assistant at Surgery. Can only be used with HCPSC codes.

What exactly do you mean by modifier for global fee package. There are modifers to be used to indicate something is billed outside of the global, particularly modifier -24 and -25.

Default modifiers

Hi. I saw that you were inquiring about the modifier -AS. Please note that this modifier is one that can be found in the HCPCS National Coding Manual and it is used by an "assistant" at surgery to show the portion of the surgical code that this assistant provided. It is my belief that since the HCPCS codes include both National (alpha-numeric) and CPT codes (codes starting with 0 - 9) that you could use this modifier, -AS on any code that would be appropriate. It is alwasy best to check with your carrier to make sure that they recognize the modifier but my hunch is that most would recognaize this one. You can get a copy fo the HCPCS National Coding Manual from most any provider.

As far as how you would break apart the components of the surgical package, consider using the -54, -55 and -56. These modifier can be found in the Appendix in CPT and each one, appended to a surgery code (codes 1 - 6) can show a different component of the surgical package. I hope this helps you. Sincerely yours, Patrice Morin-Spatz, CPC
    Last edited by scavengerqueen@hotmail.com; 01-09-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I read your rules after I made my answer and should have read them beforehand. Sorry.

AS is for non-physician assistant at surgery, ie PAs or NPs. It is used with any surgical procedure in which the assistant was a NPP.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC